06 August 2006

Birthday fun (part 2)

Today (August 6) was officially Jamie's birthday, so we went to see Little Miss Sunshine Little Miss Sunshine this morning. I didn't know quite what to expect from this film because I have this thing about not wanting to see previews or read movie descriptions. I feel that this gives the whole movie away. Overall, I was impressed with the movie. It is a dark comedy that definitely gets a few laughs from the audience. Plus, Steve Carell is in it- what's not to love about that?

After the movie, we rode the train to Chinatown for Jamie's birthday lunch at Lao Sze Chuan, the best Chinese food I have ever had. We are repeat customers here. Their menu is as thick as a novel. They have a "very Chinese" section of the menu that contains delicacies such as intestine and other body parts that I would rather not eat... so I tend to stay away from this section.

Our favorite is the Phoenix and dragon which is shrimp in a white sauce on one side of the plate and chicken in a sweet bbq sauce on the other side of the plate. We also got the biggest pork potstickers ever. They were like a meal in themselves. The last dish we had was the orange beef which is also in a sweet bbq sauce. I know, we had a feast. Since we didn't go to the grocery store this weekend, it will be nice to have the leftovers to eat all week.

If you are ever in Chicago and you want extraordinary Chinese food, head here. Remember, Sze Chuan is known for its spiciness, so if you want it less spicy, you have to ask for mild or medium spice.

I had as much fun today as I did yesterday at the game. It was so fun, it felt like my birthday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a very fun weekend!

Peyton said...

It was so fun... I think I gained 5 pounds between the popcorn and Chinese food.