15 August 2006

Big Changes

So, I am well on the way to a better job (and better $$$.) On Tuesday, I was offered a job at a marketing firm that represents several liquor companies and Katie's favorite beer company... As a couple of you know, this is not the only job I have been interviewing for over the past month. I also had a really good chance at being the Assistant Director for the Graduate School.

There was quite a bit of difficulty deciding whether or not to take the job at the marketing or try to wait another couple of weeks to hear if I got the job at the College. FIrst of all, there is the issue of title... at the firm, I would be an assistant, whereas at school, I would be an Assistant Director. Second, at the firm I would have a receptionist desk, with the chance of one day upgrading to a cubicle, while at school I would have an office with a door. Third, at the firm, I have a couple of friends, whereas at the College, I am well established and I already know everbody (and by everybody, I go out for drinks with VPs, Directors and Deans on a regular basis.) Fourth, at the firm, I would get paid by the hour, whereas at the College I would have a salary and benefits.

After talking to my daddy, my mom, my boyfriend, and Katie, I decided to take a chance on the firm and see what happens. There are several reasons for this decision. Besides being a chance to get my foot in the door and make some money, it is also a chance to diversify my resume. Plus, it gets me out of my comfort zone. What is the worst that could happen? If I decide that it is not for me and that I would rather work at the College, then I can always return.

Everyone I talked to about this agreed that I know what to expect at Columbia because I have worked there for almost 3 years. If I didn't take a chance on something new (this job at the marketing firm) then I would probably regret it the rest of my life because I would constantly think about what could have been.

Yesterday, I had to tell my boss the news of the job. Overall, she was extremely excited for me. She said that she knew it was coming. I have really gotten close to a lot of people in the office. I didn't think I would feel so sad about leaving. Overall, it was a rough day. Not only did I have a Champagne hangover, but I was also very sick all day from worry and dread at telling everyone the news. I threw up and had the cha-chas all day (I know, gross.) To make matters worse, I missed the potluck because I went home sick. The theme of the potluck was Mexican food... for those of you who know me, it is right up my alley. Plus, I had been looking forward to this for weeks. Someone from the office was thinking of me and made me a plate from the meal and put it in the fridge for Friday (how sweet is that.) Hopefully my appetite will return before then.

The most difficult part is going to be telling the grad school. I am really close to everyone who works there, especially the Dean, and I feel like I am letting them down. I truly appreciate the chance that they gave me, but I felt this new opportunity that presented itself was the best decision for me at this point in my life.

I know I have been going on and on, but this has been something that has been on my mind constantly. To conclude, I am really excited about the new job. I am going to tackle this new experience with enthusiasm and a positive attitude. It is a chance for me to make more money, but more importantly, a chance for me to learn a new business. So, here's to trying new things!

3 comments:

katie g. said...

You are not letting anyone down, Peyton. Anyone who knows you and cares about you will realize that this is a great opportunity and should be happy for you.

Peyton said...

Thanks, Katie... you have always been so supportive of me... Can you believe that we have been friends for 12 years now?

Unknown said...

Just wanted you to know that you've inspired me to apply for a job that is out of my comfort zone. We'll see what happens!