24 January 2008

Sweet Home Alabama

Lately, I have been listening to a lot of Lynyrd Skynyrd... There is something so comforting about it at this point in my life. It brings back memories (college- specifically, Touchdowns-, the first taste of freedom, and on and on). Every, single day I listen to Sweet Home Alabama (sometimes on repeat) and it makes me long for the South. It invokes memories of family and friends. For so long, I dreamed about leaving the South and I finally did move to Chicago in 2003 with my best friend/life partner/now fiance. Four and a half years later (1.5 graduate degrees later for me and almost a law degree later for Jamie), I realize how much I miss it. That does not mean that I want to pack up and move back. I simply wish that I had the same relationships/friendships here with me now. The only time I see my family is at Christmas. I see my friends from the South much less. With everything that has happened, those relationships seem so much more important and I am so far away there is nothing I can do to fix it and that frustrates me. I need that support now and I don't know how to ask for it. Plus, I feel bad asking my local friends for help even though I am truly suffering after my Daddy's death.

Well, this post went from could-have-been-fun to depressing... it mimics my everyday. Hopefully, you have a support system that is a little closer than mine... (cue "Debbie Downer" music). Tell them how much you appreciate them before it is too late.

3 comments:

katie g. said...

Hey you, I'm always here if you need anything. Just a phone call or a short plane ride away - seriously. I still plan on visiting in March so start figuring out a good time for me to show up on your doorstep. Anytime, anywhere, Peyton.

P.S. that is MY cd you totally stole from me, btw. ;D

PrincessGreen17 said...

Ha, it must be something about that song and freshman year at BSC...I heard it a lot then and it always reminds me of that time, too! Your virtual friends are always close by, for whatever that's worth.

Peyton said...

UPDAT: So, I have had a couple of local friends who have really been making life so much better lately... I went to grad school with both of these girls and let me just tell you, I am the luckiest person alive to have them as my friends. Thank you, Kate & Kendra (if you read this!) for being there.