13 May 2007

Whew!

What a weekend... I usually don't talk about work, but I feel like I should.

Friday was Manifest. It is the all day art festival that our College organizes to showcase graduating student work. In conjunction with the event we had our Graduate Commencement Party... it was not as sucessful as it has been in past years. I suspect it is because we usually have it one week before Manifest but this year we tried having it on the same day. All of our students were busy with their departments so no one showed up... I mean almost no one showed up. Probably 30-40 people showed up total ALL night. At one point it was just staff standing around talking about how we all wanted to cry at how bad the attendance turned out. But, then, the Dance Movement Therapy girls arrived and made it seem sort of okay because they had a good time. Thus, the night was not a complete bust.

The next morning we had to report to Commencement at 8:15/8:30. I worked that alllllll day. That was a whole other story of unneccesary stress, but I won't get into that now.

After the 2 ceremonies, I walked straight to my next event, a gala with Dionne Warwick. Yep, you heard it... I was invited by the Dean to go to a private dinner event with Miss Dionne. I was one of around 100 people (mostly trustees and donors) in the company of this amazing woman. I dined on a perfectly cooked filet mignon, drank a few glasses of wine and listened to the Black Ensemble Theater sing Dionne's songs. Let me just tell you, they were A-MAZING! They ended the evening with "That's what friends are for" and I sat next to my good friend Gemini and sang along and swayed. It was a night I will remember forever.

So, back to Dionne. She has not aged a bit. Plus, she is super petit. She arrived in a stretch limo with her entourage of about 6... including her song-writing partner (I think) and her sister (I think). I was there that night to technically work. So, I was stationed at the door to greet the dinner guests. After my 45 minute committment, I was supposed to just enjoy myself.

Today I am sooo tired. So, I will relax all day.

No comments: