13 September 2006

My AmEx

Every month on the 11th, my American Express closes out for the month. So, today, I decide to see what sort of damage I did for the past month... When I looked at the amount owed, my heart jumped in my throat. All I could think was that someone must have stolen my card number because there is no way that I could possibly owe this much just for one month. As I waited for the itemized statement to load, which took an extremely long time, I planned my course of action. First, i was going to contact AmEx and dispute these charges- that is the joy of having an AmEx, the safety/protection to your credit it provides when it comes to theft and your credit.

I started reading the statement with my calculator in hand and I came to the realization that, yes, it was me who charged every single item on the list. The grand total is just too embarrassing to say... let's just say that I could have bought my own engagement ring for what I just paid on that damn card. Thank god I had the money to pay it, or I could have really been screwed.

Seriously, I am so sick about my spending habits. I really need to curb my elaborate (borderline luxurious) lifestyle... Does anyone have any advice on this matter?

2 comments:

Lora Leigh said...

I think I'd be at the same shoppers anonymous meeting that you would be in. At times I am logical and only buy what I need. Other times I give myself a little longer leash to spend as I please. Granted -- I too am financially secure enough to pay for these items, but did I really need them? Most times I feel a tinge of guilt due to no good reason of justification for my purchases.
*Let me know when you find a shopper stopper*

Katy C. said...

No suggestions, but when you figure it out will you let me know b/c I need to control my spending habits as well!